Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas dinner


So I am reading my book by Denise and Meadow Linn The Mystic Cookbook. About food and spirituality and alchemy. I am in the very beginning and they are discussing childhood foods. And I started to think about my favorite childhood foods, which of course were the fabulous foods my mother made for me.The house smelled of garlic and ginger and bay leaves and the windows were all steamed up and a bottle of Pepsi accompanied all our meals!  Panciet was the  best! How I loved panceit and how I don't make it often. As a matter of fact the only 2 times I tried to make it since my mother died over 20 years ago was for my BROTHER!!  I made it for him. The last time I made it for him and his family and my daughter. I gave them the recipes so that they could carry on their grandmother’s tradition. My one niece didn't even show up for the dinner. If this isnt some kind of a sign of me trying to reach out to my family, to try to do something nice I don't know what is. ohhhhh But I am the bad person of the family. I know I sound like a broken record, but if I dont reach out to my family well, then I never hear from them. I don’t ever recall anyone in my family trying to do something nice like this for me. Ever.

So this Christmas I will make panciet for myself. At least my mother will be with me in spirit.