Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Wonderful Outdoors

I noticed a familiar smell today. I was walking the dogs down the road. I had promised Jeffery a nice long walk since it is his birthday today. And there it was, a smell that reminded me of the days when I first started hiking in the woods. I think it was around 1995. I bought the book; 13 greatest Hikes in WNY. I went to Hunter’s Creek and Rock City and others during the fall and winter. It was the beginning of my love affair with the Outdoors. There was one hike on the Whispering Pines trail I believe just outside of Holland when it began snowing those big fat snow flakes. It was so quiet and so beautiful. And that smell, the smell of a cool crisp autumn day in the woods; like being in the middle of a pumpkin! I had done many hikes, mostly alone. Then I took Jasper on a few when he was a puppy and basically just carried him in my puppy carrier. I remember taking him on a hike over on Gasport Road, and look at that, we ended up living a block away from that trail all last year. But those hiking trips soon turned into camping trips. And now look at me, I LIVE in the middle of that wonderful smell that I would pack up and drive to! I noticed a covered bridge at the bottom of my road. I will get pics of that on our next walk. Its going to be a great winter and I can’t wait till spring when I can start setting up my front porch with hanging flowers and window boxes and really comfy wicker furniture. We will sit out there on rainy days and sunny mornings. It will be a very tough decision to stay or go to the RV on the weekends. I will cross that bridge when I come to it! For now I am just going to enjoy looking out my windows and taking the boys for walks.